Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Makabucha Day


February 9 is a national holiday in Thailand. It celebrates an event in Buddhist history when 1250 monks gathered together in one place by coincidence. Thai's make "bouquets" that include lotus flowers, 3 sticks of incense and a candle. After listening to the monks teachings, you walk around the temple 3 times. This picture is of my bouquet, including the lotus flowers I folded myself. When we finished circling the temple, we left the candles burning around the base of the trees and left the flowers as an offering.

3 comments:

  1. How incredible! Your ability to join in effortlessly into any culture has always inspired me. How much could we learn if we always kept an open mind, seriously? Everything looks yummy (especially the soft shelled crab chips) and beautiful. I'm looking forward to the dim sun you are undoubtedly Fedexing me right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Susan...the soft shell crab chips sound phenomenal. Little bit jealous over here.... :) As much as I know you completely miss the balmy, tropical weather that is winter in Denver, it sounds like an amazing adventure is unfolding :)
    Well, we miss you in HR already...it's just too quiet now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the process of eating ice cream one to two times a day...in the hot climate, it just feels right!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails