Sunday, October 31, 2010

Recipe: White Chicken Chili


Last weekend I was determined to get a handle on all the random recipes and Cooking Light magazines that were cluttering up my cabinet.   As a part of that mission, I came across a recipe I cut out at some point and had never made.    The recipe is courtesy of Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese.   However, I didn't have any Kerrygold cheese and our trainer is not a big fan of cheese in general (unless it's low-fat feta, and just a sprinkle).   It was very tasty.   I put in my comments and substitutions. 

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion (8oz), peeled and diced
1 yellow bell pepper (8oz), stemmed, seeded and chopped (I do not like bell peppers, so I passed on this ingredient)
1 teaspoon minced fresh jalapeno chile (I bought a small one at King Soopers and laughed when it was rung up at $0.01)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 can (15oz) cream-style corn
1 can (7oz) diced mild green chiles
2 cups whole milk (used skim - no problems)
1 can (15oz) navy beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
salt and pepper
1 cup shredded Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese

In a large pan (or pot) combine oil, onion, bell pepper (if using), and jalapeno.  Stir often over high heat until onion is limp.  Add cumin, corn, green chiles, milk and beans.  Bring to a  boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally - about 10 minutes.   Stir in chicken (and then I let it simmer some more).
Season with salt and pepper.   Stir in cheese (if using) and serve immediately.    Crackers and tortilla chips are also a great garnish for this chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails