Thursday, December 2, 2010

Recipe: Loaded Potato Soup


I mentioned potato soup to my trainer - and even though this recipe is from Cooking Light - it did not get his approval because of the potatoes.   It turned out well and I will definitely make it again...even if it does get circled in my food journal.   The recipe is in the 'super fast' section to be made in 20 minutes, but I let it simmer on the stove for a bit after adding the potatoes and sour cream.   I also doubled the recipe from what was in the magazine.    The recipe below is the original from the magazine.

What You Need

4 (6oz) red potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped (or pre-chopped) onion
1 1/4 cups fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups 1% milk  (I used skim)
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 bacon slices, halved (I used turkey bacon and chose to chop it up and put it in the soup instead of as a garnish)
1/3 cup shredded cheddar
4 teaspoons thin sliced green onions

What You Do

Pierce potatoes with a fork.  Microwave on high 13 minutes until tender.  Cut in half, cool slightly.
While the potatoes cook, head oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add onion, saute 3 minutes.  Add broth.  Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk, add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk.  Bring to a boil; stir often.   Cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper. 

Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a plate in the microwave.  Cover with a paper towel; microwave on high for 4 minutes then crumble bacon.

Discard potato skins ( this was extra work - I kept most of the skins on ).  Coarsely mash potatoes into soup.  Top with cheese, green onions and bacon.  I also used spicy red pepper and hot sauce to give the soup a little kick

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails