Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Breakfast Casserole By Any Other Name...

I still want your sole!  See the bottom of this post about how you can help as we go into the last few weeks of the Soles 4 Souls Flippin' Good Deeds blogger challenge!

I'm behind.   And that's ok.   I took a three day weekend to go to Chicago and am still trying to get caught up.   And then we had our first real snow of the season.   If I took this picture today that tree in the background would have sad depressed branches covered with snow.   Today counts against our 300+ annual days of sunshine. 

This recipe comes from Cooking Light and is euphemistically called "Savory Bread Puddings with Ham and Cheddar."    I think the only reason it got such a fancy name is because the original recipe calls for the portions to be baked in individual ramekins.   I do not own ramekins.   Although I can probably find them at Goodwill right next to where I bought my $4.99 espresso maker.    Without ramekins, this recipe becomes your (light) garden variety breakfast casserole.   Everyone loves a breakfast casserole!

8 oz multi grain bread with seeds, cut into 3/4 inch cubes   (you can feel the nutrition right here)
cooking spray
3/4 cup (3oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
3/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 ounces lower sodium ham, minced
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
3 large egg whites
4 teaspoons light sour cream

Preheat oven to 375.    Place bread cubes on a cookie sheet, coat with cooking spray.  Bake for 10 minutes until lightly toasted, turning once.  Remove from oven and cool.

Combine bread, 1/2 cup cheese, milk, broth, pepper, ham and egg yolks in a large bowl.   Place egg whites in a small bowl and beat at high speed until foamy (30 secs).  Gently fold egg whites into bread mixture. 

Since I did not make individual puddings, I used an 8x8 pan coated with cooking spray and spread the bread and egg mixture into the pan and then topped with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.   Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.  Top with 1 teaspoon sour cream and enjoy.

Flippin' Good Deeds Challenge Update
The Soles 4 Souls challenge ends on November 15.   I was excited to see today that my blog has made it onto the leader board.   For my friends here in Denver, contact me directly and I can let you know about where to drop off your shoes (or my shoe wagon can come to you).   Or you can follow these 6 easy steps below:

1. Gather your pre-loved shoes. Tie each pair together, either with the shoelaces or with a rubber band.
2. If you have fewer than 10 pairs, you can donate them at a local drop off location. Click here to search for one near you.
3. If you have more than 10 pairs or would rather ship your shoe donation, please ship them to one of the Soles 4 Souls warehouses. Click here for the addresses. If you ship a box, please include the form from #4 (below) in the box as well.
4. Whether you drop off your shoes or ship them, please fill out THIS FORM and email it to the Donor Services Guru at Soles 4 Souls, LaCita Mason (lacitam@giveshoes.org). If faxing is your style, you can fax the form to 615-391-5730. This form has my blog address on it (travelerforgood.blogspot.com) as well as my blogger ID for this challenge (ID #040).
5. Oooh, we're getting close to the end of the year....do you want a tax receipt? Here you go!
6. Give yourself a big hug. Or grab somebody sexy and tell them "hey." Your gift of shoes has made a difference for someone in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails