Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Recipe: Avocado & Grapefruit Relish


Dear Grapefruit,

It's been a while.   A long while.   I go to the store and walk right past you to get to the bananas or the blackberries.   I've forgotten how good you are.  Sweet and tangy at the same time.  A nutritional win any way that I look at you.   I promise I will put you back into my fruit rotation.

Love, Jenni

I found the recipe, Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish, at Sunflower Market, a grocery store here in Denver (and elsewhere in the western half of the country).   I didn't have turkey cutlets. I did have frozen, store-bought, turkey burgers, and sandwich thins, so I opted to use the relish with a  burger.    The relish is so good that you can eat it straight out of the bowl, like my sister did with the leftovers tonight.    Put it on everything.  Or nothing.  

What you need
1 large ruby red grapefruit
1 small avocado, peeled, pitted, diced
1 small shallot, minced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
pinch of sea salt

What you do
Slice the grapefruit in half.  Use a sharp knife to cut out all sections - don't get any of the white pith or the dividing membrane.   Dice the grapefruit pieces and put into a medium bowl and squeeze remaining juice in the bowl as well.   Add avocado, shallot, cilantro, vinegar, and honey.  Toss well to combine. 

The turkey burger was improv, but I sprinkled the patty with chipotle chile powder, sea salt, and dried parsley then put it on my little George Foreman grill for a few minutes.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. The pairing sounds very interesting and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails