Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Filling Up the Bucket List

Pondering and updating your bucket list periodically is a good idea.  It's the whole "failing to plan is planning to fail" thing.  My trainer says that about my meal planning.  But it's true for many things in life.  If you don't know what you want to do (today, next year, before you die) you'll get stuck in a rut that includes, but is not limited to, action adventure movies, dinner at the Olive Garden, walks of exactly 15 minutes, annual vacations to Florida and a haircut that matches your neighbor's.   You could become one of those people who answers questions with "I don't know, what do you want to do?"      

In college we were tasked to create a list of lifetime goals that fell into a variety of categories including Job/Career, Physical/Health, Family/Relationship, Cultural/Educational, Community/Political,  Financial/Material, and Spiritual/Humanitarian.  

I put this book (pictured above) together in 2000.   The good news?  Some goals have been accomplished.   Others are still a work in progress.   And some aren't important to me anymore (I really don't care if I become a proficient horseback rider, after all)

A few that I checked off the list:
1 - Work in a national park
5 - Be a manager that employees like
8 - Go parasailing
13 - Participate in more winter sports  (oooh I could use the $500 to renew my ski pass!)
22 - Go on a trip with my friends once we are out in the real world
29 - Adopt my pets from the humane society
39 - Chaperone a youth mission trip
40 - Be active in a church
44 - Live west of the Mississippi

And here are a few pictures of things that I thought I wanted to do in 2000 that I still want to do today:





(what what?  Happy to say in fall of 2013, I moved to Hawaii...well outside of the lower 48, or the mainland as we call it here)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails